Tuesday 15 August 2006

Air terror threat

Didn't Benjamin Franklin once say that:

"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."?

Well such a statement sums up my views in relation to the BAA curbs on hand luggage. Slowly and slowly, we are losing our freedoms for the sake of "extra security". I fear that we are on a slippery slope towards totalitarianism. That may sound alarmist, nonetheless I see no sign that Blair will relent in curbing civil liberties. In the USA, the trend is identical. Free Talk Live (see links) often comment on such flagrant disregard for individual rights.

Of course, Tony Blair and the government believe the Islamists "hate our freedom" and "hate our way of life". I've stated numerous times on this blog that I disagree with such reasoning. If they truly do hate our freedom, why haven't they attacked France or Germany? Aren't they liberal democracies too? It seems strange to be so selective in the liberal democracies you attack, if you claim to despise ALL liberal democracy.

I also see that some Muslim leaders have lobbied the government regarding its foreign policies. I feel that this is prudent because I don't see how one can rationally discount foreign policy in this instance. The UK has possesed an Islamic ethnic minority for nearly five decades now. And yet it's only in the past few years that we've suffered attacks from Islamists. It's not so irrational to assume there is a correlation between Islamist terror in the UK and British military involvement in Islamic countries.