Tuesday 20 December 2005

MP's against smoke ban

A select committee from the House of Commons has called a partial ban on smoking in public places "unworkable". The committee was reviewing the government's Health Bill, which will outlaw smoking in bars and clubs.

My position on this would hardly be surprising. Nevertheless, without being unsympathetic, I think workers who work in smoke-filled establishments would have a choice as to work in such a place. No one really is forcing them to make a living in such an environment.

Of course, the market should sort this out. I'd think that people would demand to drink in a smoke free environment. I certainly would, since I don't smoke. In a free market, if there is a demand for something, others would seek to meet it. On the other hand, if people wanted to smoke in a bar, this demand will also be met.