Friday 14 October 2005

Cameron and drugs

Conservative leadership candidate David Cameron has urged media restraint, regarding claims that a relative of his is receiving treatment for a heroin addiction. Of course, Cameron is under pressure to state whether he has ever taken drugs or not.

Mr Cameron said politicians were "only human" and everyone was allowed to "err and stray" in the past.

He said: "I didn't spend the early years of my life thinking: 'I better not do anything because one day I might be a politician' because I didn't know I was going to be a politician.

Asked directly if he had ever taken Class A drugs, Mr Cameron said: "I have said all I want to say about this."

I have to agree with Cameron. I've never really understood the concept that politicians must be "whiter than white" before entering office. IMO, a politician must show a good ability to govern and the ability to adhere to and successfully deliver his policies and election promises. Politicians are human beings like you and I, hence have the same capacity to be fallible and make mistakes.

If Cameron ever has taken drugs, I personally wouldn't care. Naturally, as a libertarian I favour the legalisation of all drugs. Even though personally I don't approve of drug taking, I recognise that the war on drugs is a failure and that a person has the right to put whatever he wants into his body. Iin regards to the Conservative leadership race, I must admit I haven't been following it very closely. To be frank, it's largely a bore to me. Regardless of whoever wins, we shall still be confronted with big government. None of the candidates want to significantly reduce the size of government.

Since politicians are human and are therefore prone to error, the powers of politicians must be greatly limited as not to impose force against citizens. As a libertarian, I seek the elimination of force from all human affairs.