Thursday 20 May 2004

London Olympics

This isn't wholly a political issue, but I fail to see why the state should fund the bid. I hear that council tax money is being used to finance part of it. Yes, parts of East London might be 'regenerated' (heh, I've been to Leyton and it's a dump full of pikeys). But regeneration would also take place by removing regulations from business, allowing poorer people to take jobs and better themselves.

I would like to see London get the Olympics though. The UK really needs to stage more 'world-class' sporting events. Though I don't understand why London is only seen by the IOC as the only viable place in Britain to stage an Olympics. Atlanta isn't as interationally famous as other US cities (like NYC, Washington or Los Angeles) but they still held an Olympics when Clinton was the President.