Sunday 30 April 2006

Leftist Hollywood celebrities

Angelina Jolie has praised the Chancellor for donating £8.5 billion to fund education in Africa.

She said Brown's commitment had given "so much momentum" to the campaign for universal free education in Africa.

This doesn't truly surprise me. For as long as I can remember, Hollywood celebrities have been leftist in their political views. I'd say that liberalism (in the American context) is a very popular ideology amongst the Hollywood crowd. I often think that celebrities ally themselves with such causes because it appears that they possess a social conscience and care about the world around them. It's essentially a PR stunt.

That's not to say there are no libertarian celebrities. For one, Clint Eastwood is, supposedly, a libertarian. The presenters of Free Talk Live were discussing this issue in their Friday edition. I believe that as more people gain knowledge of libertarianism, eventually more celebrities would embrace the ideology. I'd imagine that libertarianism must be one of the fastest growing political ideologies in the Western world.