Thursday 2 February 2006

BNP free speech trial victory

Nick Griffin and Mark Collett have been cleared of inciting racial hatred. The Crown Prosecution Service have asked for a re-trial, since some charges are outstanding.

I'm no fan of the BNP at all. I believe they are a racist party, despite their claims to the contrary.
Nonetheless, I do feel justice has been served here. As a libertarian, I don't believe in many limits to freedom of expression.

I would favour some laws outlawing defamation, largely from a moral perspective. I don't think it's just for people to defame each other, since defamation can detrimentally effect one's home and work life.

As for racial hatred laws, I think they should be outlawed within a libertarian society. My view on free speech is that people who express obnoxious or objectionable views can be shunned and ostracised by the community. People can also use their rights to freedom of expression to discredit and combat such objectionable views.

Freedom of expression also doesn't violate rights to the person and property. This is why I favour few laws curbing freedom of expression.