Thursday 31 March 2005

Air gun woman's neighbours call for her release

A few days ago, I made a post on how a middle aged woman was jailed for firing a pellet gun at some 'yobbos' who were vandalising her property. Well, the woman's neighbours are calling for her release.

A local newsagent said: “Linda Walker has my utmost respect for what she did because I can understand what would have driven her to do it.



“I have problems with tearaways in my shop. I’m sick and tired of them. I have caught some stealing sweets and drinks from the shelves.”

George Arnold, 80, said: “I think she showed great courage to stand up to the kids.”

The Conservative MP, Ann Widdecombe, stated that : “All the time she was trying to get the law to do something about the vandalism, the law was completely ineffectual. But the moment she took the law into her own hands, the law worked. It is the wrong way round. What she did was undeniably wrong, but the police should be more efficient at dealing with anti- social behaviour.”

I partially agree with Ms. Widdecombe (though I don't believe Ms. Walker's actions were wrong). IMO, this is a failing of the police to protect property rights. The police should prosecute those who violate others' property rights to the full extent of the law.

Ms. Walker's son, Craig, said that:
“Mum hadn’t gone out there to hurt anyone. She was just fed up of our house getting vandalised and she wanted to defend her property.”

It's a sad day, IMHO, when people get penalised for simply defending their own property.